Mail-In Absentee Voting
Per KRS 117.085 - Except for covered voters as described in #6 below and medical emergencies occurring within fourteen (14) days of the primary or general election, absentee mail-in ballots must be requested through the KY State Board of Elections secure online portal no later than 11:59 p.m. local time, fourteen (14) days before the primary or general election in which a voter wants to vote. If you qualify to cast a mail-in ballot for one of the reasons below you may access the portal at www.govoteky.com. The absentee ballot tab will not be available until forty-five (45) days before the date of the primary or general election.
Kentucky state law requires voters to have a qualifying excuse in order to cast an absentee ballot by mail. The following voters qualify to apply for a mail-in ballot:
- A voter who due to age, disability, or illness will be unable to go to the polls on Election Day OR during walk-in absentee voting
- A student who temporarily resides outside the county in which he/she is registered to vote
- A voter who temporarily resides outside the state but who is still eligible to vote in this state (this includes vacationers)
- A voter who is incarcerated in jail who has been charged with a crime but has yet to be convicted of the crime
- A voter whose employment location requires him/her to be absent from the county on Election Day and all hours and days in-person absentee voting is conducted
- Covered Voters as defined in KRS 117A.010 - These voters are Members of the Armed Forces and their dependents who will be out of the county on election day and voters residing overseas (temporarily or permanently)
- A voter who is a participant in the Office of the Secretary of State's address confidentiality program
- A voter who moved, or is moving, to a different state while the new state's registration books are closed before a Presidential Election (Presidential only ballot)
The dates the absentee portal will be open for the November 2022 Election will be September 24 – October 25. All requests must be made by 11:59 p.m. on October 25, 2022.
If you qualify for a mail-in ballot and have any problems completing and submitting your application on the portal, please call our office for assistance at 606-739-5116, extension #3